1) In what kind of teams have you participated?
Over the years, I have participated in several types of teams/groups listed in the text. I like everyone living is a part of the primary group; which is supposed to provide love, provision and acceptance for the most part. Other groups or teams in which I participated in are social, self-help, learning, service and work teams/groups.
2) How is communication in a team different from one-on-one communication, according to the text?
According to the text, communication within a team differs from one-on-one communication by the increased interaction that happens within the group/team versus the one-on-one conversation. Within a team, the mindsets and ideas of the masses are explored and clarified; there is more interaction. Whereas, in one-on-one conversation is a simply back and forth discussion.
3) What are some advantages of teamwork? What are some disadvantages? Be specific.
Some advantages of teamwork is the compiling of diverse experiences, information, and or talents. This breeds higher productivity and creativity. Some disadvantages includes the “battle” of control within the group, cultural backgrounds and experiences. In the case of battling for control, members are putting their individual goals, such as being the leader, over the common goal (creating a successful team) of the group.
4) Identify and describe the stages of team development
Team development consists of five stages: forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning. In the forming stage, members of the group come together and try to polite communicate their desires and needs within group. Also in the forming stage the challenge is balancing personal and group objectives. In the storming stage, members experience tensions due to fighting for control within the group/team. The trial for this stage is balancing conflict and cohesion. In the norming stage, things become routine and “normal” within the team. The performing stage is when the members have reached their maximum performance potential. Lastly is the adjourning stage in which new members take on new tasks or move on depending on the overall goal of the team.
5) How might stronger team skills benefit you? How might you use teamwork skills in your job? Provide specific examples.
Stronger team skills would benefit me in the sense that it would open up opportunities to progress due to broaden talents. I would use the teamwork skills that would assist in working through team conflicts. I would use the skills to adjust to co-workers who have the “not my job” mindset; by finding ways that would get the co-worker to do their job while adhering to the mindset that I must still with the common goal.
6) What is it like to participate in a virtual meeting, such as web-based, teleconference, and so forth? Describe three way in which this type of participation is different from participating in a face-to-face meeting.