1. Write an introduction to the theme of the American dream. – The term “American dream” is used in many ways, but it basically is an idea that suggests that anyone in the United States can succeed through hard work and has the potential to live a happy and successful life. Someone who manages to achieve his or her version of the American dream is often said to be “living the dream.” Some people say that the American dream represents the desire to live a better life than the previous generation did — and that there is a legitimate opportunity for this to happen. The desire among many parents is for their children to live happy lives.
2. Present the text and make a thorough characterization of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The text is about Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold Schwarzenegger is an Austrian/American actor, politician and businessman who started his career out as a weight lifter. Growing up in a small, isolated village in Austria, he turned to bodybuilding as a ticket to a better life. After conquering the world as possibly the greatest bodybuilder who ever lived, Schwarzenegger moved to the U.S., which he had dreamed of since he was 10. He moved to the U.S. at the age of 21 years old. He loved business, and where very focused on making money, and turning 1 dollar into millions. One of his biggest obstacles in life was his ability to control emotions. He believed in controlling his emotions and not to show them, to reach and conquer a certain goal. Arnold says that he love the state of California. He thinks that the state is the perfect combination for him, when it comes to weather, country and ocean. He is also a great believer of the western philosophy, of staying hungry. He is, in this term, thinking about, that if you have a dream you shouldn’t be satisfied when you reach your goal. You should set a new goal, and try to reach that. You should conquer and go on.
3. Examine the phases of his career. You may want to find further information. As a young man, Schwarzenegger gained widespread attention as a highly successful bodybuilder. He later gained worldwide fame as a Hollywood action film icon. He is most known for his character in ‘’The Terminator.’’ He became later on, a well-known political person in the U.S., and became the governor of California at the 8th of October 2003 and re-elected the 6th of November 2006. He retired from the position as governor in 2011.
4. In terms of identity and life style, what is your impression of Mr. Schwarzenegger? Arnold had to sacrifices a lot, to achieve what he dreamt of his whole life. He had to hide his emotions, and cute people out of his life to become the champion several times. Many people called him selfish, but he believed that it was the only way to accomplish his dreams and goals.
5. To what extent does he embody the notion of the American dream? Arnold came from a small, unknown town in Austria, and became one of the biggest personalities in the world. That is what the American dream is about. When you come from nothing, and through hard work become famous and well known. You can compare Arnold to Eminem. Eminem started working in a factory, doing the same thing for 10 hours, and went home to his caravan. Eminem came from nothing and became very famous, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
6. According to Mr. Schwarzenegger, how do you keep on dreaming the dream? As I mentioned earlier, he thinks that when you reach your goal, you should set a new one. If you make a new dream and hunt it, you keep getting the feeling of achieving something great, and when you reach that, you set a new goal.
7. Finally, write about your own “American dream”, your beliefs, values and wishes for the future. Many children say that they want to be superstars, but for how many does that dream come true? Not many and as we might know there are plenty of people who haven’t got that dream job they always wanted. That is another side to the American dream. I have had the same dream. Becoming a professional football player was my dream, but it is perhaps an unrealistic dream now. In the future I would like to have my own company, and maybe my own nightclub in one of the biggest cities in Denmark.