1. What did Britain become in the late 1600?
2. What does Parliament consist of and how are the members selected in each house? 3. In the early 1800s, what percentage of people had the right to vote? Who ran the government and why? 4. Why did Parliament pass the Reform Bill of 1832? What changes did it make? 5. What changes did the People’s Charter of 1838 petition for? 6. Who presided over all this historic change?
7. By 1890, several industrial countries had universal male suffrage, when did women gain the right to vote in Great Britain and the United States? 8. Which organization became the most militant organization for women’s rights? Who was the leader of this organization? What did they do when they jailed to keep their cause in the public eye? 9. The France’s National Assembly finally agreed on a new government in 1875? What was the name of this new government? 10. Explain the Dreyfus Affair. What did this case or scandal show about France and most parts of Western Europe? 11. What are pogroms?
12. What did these events in Europe convince the Jews to work towards? What is the name of the movement to achieve that goal? Who was the leader of that movement? What was the end result of the efforts of that movement?
Section 2 – Self Rule for British Colonies
1. What did it mean to be a dominion?
2. What lands did Captain Cook claim for Britain? And when? 3. Where did Great Britain establish a penal colony and why did they? 4. What country was the first to give full voting rights to women and the only country to allow women to vote before the 1900s? 5. Who are the Maori people?
6. What was the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829?
7. What was the Great Famine? Where did most Irish immigrants go during the Great Famine?
Section 3 – War and Expansion in the United States
1. When did the United States win independence from Great Britain? What marked the western boundary of the new republic? What two major issues caused tension between the northern and southern states? 2. Who bought the Louisiana Territory in 1803?
3. What was “manifest destiny”?
4. What was the Indian Removal Act of 1830? What major event did this law cause to happen? Explain what happened. 5. When did Mexico gain its independence from Spain? When did the Texans revolt against the Mexicans? 6. What did Mexico consider as an act of war? Between May 1846 and February 1848, war raged between the two countries. What was this war known as? As part of the settlement of the war, what did Mexico do? What was the name of the territory and what states came from that land? Who did we purchase the Gadsden Purchase from? 7. What raised questions about what laws and customs should be followed in the West? 8. What was the direct cause of the outbreak of the Civil War? 9. What happened on April 12, 1861 that began the Civil War? When did the South surrender? 10. What was issued in 1863 that declared that all slaves in the Confederate States were free? 11. Explain the Thirteenth; Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments. 12. What the period called Reconstruction?
13. After the troops left the South, what did white Southerners do to African Americans? 14. How did the Civil War help speed industrialization?
Section 4 – Nineteenth Century Progress
1. What were two new forms of energy in the 1800s?
2. Who patented the invention of the light bulb, phonograph and created a research laboratory? 3. Who invented the telephone and who invented the radio? 4. Who invented the assembly line?
5. What did Louis Pasteur learn about bacteria? What became clear to Pasteur and others about bacteria? 6. What idea did Charles Darwin challenge? What was Charles Darwin’s new idea(explain) and what did it come to be called? 7. Who discovered radioactivity and won a Nobel Prize?