• Analyze and determine how automobiles are advertised
• Role of advertising
• Ethical standards for advertising and who determines them
• advertising effects on American culture
5 KEY PERSUASIVE TECHNIQUES
• Testimonial, supporting a product
• Bandwagon, a specific product used
• Promotion, who is the audience
• Repetition, repeated many times
• Humor, techniques selling the products
MY PRODUCT: AUTOMOBILE
• Automobile advertisements spur the American culture to purchase a new car every few years to keep the latest and greatest, and throw out the old to keep their appearance up.
• Most automobile advertisements appeal visually to our senses. They use the skinniest and prettiest girls to make consumers feel like if they drive a particular car the best looking women or men will want to be with them or they will look as good as them because of the car. They make the car look indestructible by putting a rhino as the body, or using a strong, rough and tough looking man hard at work using the vehicle.
ROLE OF ADVERTISING IN A
CULTURE OF CONSUMERISM
• First, What is consumerism?
• The protection or promotion of the interests of consumers.
• What is the role of advertising?
• Advertisements role is to determine what we consume. What to eat, what to wear, what vehicle we’re going to buy, where to purchase our furniture, every little thing that we need and want is determined by the advertisements we see or hear everyday and how they appeal to our senses.
WHO DETERMINES ETHICAL
STANDARDS FOR ADVERTISING
• AAF: American Advertising Federation
• IAF: International Accreditation Forum
• The Mission:
IN WHAT WAYS HAS
• Advertising has always shown the latest and greatest consumer products, which has driven the average consumer to always want the latest and greatest products to show off.
• Demonstrates promiscuity and entitlement to our children.
• Advertising perpetuating debt, because we always want what is the newest, best, and expensive, even if we cannot afford it. The American culture tells us to use money we don’t have and to neglect our everyday bills to make us feel better, richer, or cooler.
• In conclusion, all advertisements use the one of the same most persuasive techniques to appeal to the consumers.
• These types of advertisements have had a negative influence on our culture by promoting promiscuity, debt, and entitlement.
• All Advertisements are regulated by the same companies.
• The role of advertisements is to determine what the consumers purchase.