1) What is one aspect of Egyptian and Mesopotamian society that they had in common? The women could own property and go into priesthood.
2) What was the advantage of the Chinese writing system?
The writing system was universal.
3) What are trade, specialized work, government, record keeping, and advance technology characteristics of? A civilization
4) What ancient city was founded on the banks of the Euphrates River? Ur
5) What is the Mandate of Heaven?
When a just ruler had divine approval by a god to rule
6) What do the pyramids of Egypt tell us about their society? They tell us that the people of Egypt believed in an afterlife, had a powerful leader, had tools 7) What was the system of writing that the Sumerian scribes created? Cuneiform
8) What economic activity characterized the advanced cities of Sumer? Trade
9) How was Sargon of Akkad’s first empire formed?
Sumeria was defeated and they united Northern and Southern Mesopotamia to create an umpire
10) Why do we know nothing about the Indus Valley civilization? We cannot decipher their written language
11) Which species of hominids disappeared nearly 30,000 years ago? Neanderthals
12) What metal did Sumer use instead of copper and it has an age named after it? Bronze
13) What was the first hominid group to migrate?
14) What was the ancient village located in modern day Turkey? Catal Huyuk
15) What was the name of the movement from hunter-gathering to farming called? Neolithic Revolution
16) What were some daily activities of nomads?
Finding food, finding a place to rest, making knives, fish hooks, sewing needles, and spears 17) What were the social classes of the people of Ur?
1st class: Priests/Landowners/Warriors 2nd Class: Merchants 3rd Class:
Peasants/Artisans 18) What was the main result of the domestication of animals? There was a constant source of food
19) What functions is a ziggurat used for?
Holding religious ceremonies, the city hall, government, holding important stuff like seeds, record keeping, and storing food 20) What is slash-and-burn faming?
When you cut down trees and tall grass to clear a field and burn them. Then use the ashes as fertilizer 21) What was the name of the rulers of Egypt?
22) Mummification is part of the Egyptian belief in what? Afterlife
23) What form of natural barriers surrounded Egypt?
24) What was the function of a pyramid?
25) What was the Egyptian form of writing?
26) What is a cataract?
Boulders and rapids in a river
27) Humans and other creatures that walk upright, such as australopithecines, are called? Hominids
28) Another name for the Neolithic Revolution is?
29) Human made objects such as tools and jewelry are known as? Artifacts
30) What inventions aided villagers in developing successful farming and trading practices? Wheel, Sail, Plow, and irrigation
31) In Greek, “Mesopotamia,” the lands in the Fertile Crescent that face the Mediterranean Sea, translates as what? Land between the rivers 32) What percentage of China’s land is suitable for farming? 10%
33) What was the name of the Babylonian leader that developed a set of codes? Hammurabi
34) What was the name of the female hominid skeleton found in East Africa in 1974? Lucy
35) What are the drawbacks to living in permanent villages? Disease spreads faster; you are more prone to attack, natural disaster 36) What
are the key traits that you need to have to be defines as a civilization? Advances cities, record keeping, complex institution, technology, and trade 37) What is the process called when a new idea or product spreads form one culture to another? Cultural Diffusion
38) What type of governments is ran by a religious authority? Theocracy
39) What is the term called that means god has chosen you to be the leader? Mandate of Heaven
40) In China this was the name of the political system in which nobles or lords were given land by the king? Feudalism