Evolution on Football Helmet Essay Sample
- Pages: 3
- Word count: 589
- Rewriting Possibility: 99% (excellent)
- Category: football
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Introduction of TOPIC
1) DEC. 2 1893 was the mark when the first football helmet was made
2) 1 Nov 1896
Throughout 1896 George Barclay was working on his model of the football helmet after he feared he would get seriously injured while playing football. His model contained leather straps, which were one of the first makings of the chinstrap to hold the helmet on the head throughout physical play.
3) 1 Oct 1917 The ZH helmet was one of the most inovative leather helmets created because of its suspension, ventalation, and communication ideas.
4) Vern McMillan created first modern facemask in 1935.McMillan had claimed that goals of his invention were to create a mask that could be affixed to the helmet. He created a mask that would not hinder the vision of players, protect their noses, and transfer impact to the outer shell of the helmet. Rubber covered wire mask had been the original material of mask.
5) After decades of players wearing the same styled leather helmet, employees at the John T. Riddell Company in Chicago invented a new helmet made out of plastic. This new material was strong
er, durable, and lighter than previous models. 30 Nov 1939 6) 30
The creation of the first logo on a football helmet took place in 1948 by Fred Gehrke, a player for the Los Angeles Rams. Gehrke created the logo in his free time and presented it to team owner, Dan Reeves, who approved it.
7) 17 Oct 1956
To reduce substitutions during game play, John Campbell and George Sarles came up with the idea of putting a radio transmitter in the back of a quarterback’s helmet to transfer in plays instead of switching out receivers
8) 30 Nov 1986
The polycarbonate helmet was introduced in 1986. Polycarbonate is lighter than typical plastic and far more durable due to the means of manufacturing. Brought into NFL as a means to prevent greater injuries and significantly reduce concussions.
9) 30 Nov 2002
In 2002 Riddell created the “Revolution,” the first major development in the field in 25 years. This product made several advancements in player safety on all levels, through a very heavily researched new design. The new helmet is meant to ensure increased safety as well as comfort for football players on all levels of play. Immediately following its introduction key athletes promoted the product by wearing it, such as Peyton Manning and Brady Quinn.
10) 30 Nov 2007
The Schutt Ion 4D has been the most popular football helmet in the world since its inception. Many professional players such as Brandon Jacobs wear it and a number of schools including Penn State have a large number of athletes using them as well. This helmet is revolutionary in many different ways. It is designed focusing on maximum safety, but still being able to look stylish. The padding made of Thermoplastic Urethane keeps air circulating to keep the temperature cool.
Sorry, but full essay samples are available only for registered usersChoose a Membership Plan