Method: to identify these chemicals I will carry out two types of test: Flame test and chemical test.
* To carry out the flame test I will dip the metal wire in the roaring Bunsen flame.
* Then I dipped the wire in hydrochloric acid
* Next I placed it into the sample and then I placed it into the roaring Bunsen Flame
* After I recorded the colour of the flame
* I wore goggles to protect my eyes from acid (hydrochloric acid is corrosive)
* When I was not using the Bunsen burner, I put it on safety flame
* I also used small amounts of acid and have a safety mat
Test for cat ion:
Test for an ion:
Add Dilute hydrochloric acid
It fizzes and carbon dioxide gas is produced
Add Acidified silver nitrate
I added Acidified barium chloride solution
Evaluation: Flame test and chemical test tell us which chemicals are present. This is called a qualitative analysis. In industry, it is also very important to know how much of the chemical is present. The difference between my tests and the tests carried out in the industry is that they find the amount as well as the type of chemical.