How to conduct a case study research? Essay Sample
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals.Get Access
How to conduct a case study research? Essay Sample
If you were to promote a person, certain products or events, you would need to carry out a profound case study research. It’s a writing tool which gives the opportunity to evaluate the theoretical applications plus their complexities when using hypothesis in practice. A real or hypothetical problem should be taken. Students have to demonstrate to what extent theory differs from a real-life situation. It’s a common task to use case study research if there is a demand to deliver business or any other investigation connected with economics, trade, law, and marketing.
Every student has to apply their knowledge and critical thinking to grasp the effects of practical application. But make sure that your study is somehow connected with the real personalities, settings, conflicts or historical events. It’ll be more interesting for you to work with a familiar subject that triggers an emotional response. After deciding on the topic to study and setting clear goals, define the type of a scientific case study you want to carry out. You may investigate a person or a group of people – objectives have to be elaborated to focus on a particular aspect of research. It may concentrate on providing information about your subject, creating a discussion of its advantages and drawbacks, etc. When writing a case study, you can make use of two different procedures – an analytical approach and the problem-oriented approach.
The first approach aims at collecting details, peculiarities, special features of your topic. It dwells upon causes which have influenced this subject and describes the results of such an impact. In the problem-oriented study, you have to concentrate more on the outcomes and the key issues of this subject – you should review the literature relevant to your problem. Usually, there is a real or imaginary problem that needs a solution. Your analysis should be based on a couple of crucial issues, up to five mostly, plus you have to explain why they constitute a problem, their effects as well as who is responsible. Describe how it can be carried out – including information that helps readers understand how to treat this issue. Your task is to provide a case study analysis and elaborate a suitable way out.
When your research is finished, and all necessary data and details are gathered, you can start writing your impeccable paper. There is one thing you should remember. In terms of a proper case study, the size doesn’t matter. It depends on the aim of your research, its main ideas, the chosen topic and the number of issues you want to include. To make your study well-researched, you are encouraged to use additional visual aids – graphics, tables, pictures, video recordings, and text.
The structure and formatting of the case study research paper
To produce a proper work, students should also be aware of the structure and formatting requirements. The structure of your case study can be divided into seven separate parts which are presented in a certain way.
- The title of your work. It has to be catchy and interesting – just in one sentence, you should emphasize the value of your research.
- Summary. This is your opportunity to give a short outline of the whole work and demonstrate principal ideas you have been investigating. Describe the settings of the event, background information and relevant details.
- Introductory part. Dedicate this section to presenting your subject – personalities, settings, historical events – for your readers to get acquainted with it. And make sure to include your thesis statement.
- Points of difficulties. In two paragraphs describe problems, obstacles, and challenges through which a person has gone through, its effects on the personal growth and in what way this person has managed to achieve a desirable aim. Use vivid and reliable examples to back up your reasoning. Don’t present only one possible variant – provide the alternatives to solve the problem. After that, it’s advisable to explain why they aren’t acceptable.
- Your contribution. This part should deal with your input into this situation – focus on how your research can solve conflicts or problems represented in the topic. Your solution should be realistic and accurate. You should clarify how you have managed to come up with this particular answer, plus support your reasoning.
- Outcomes. Here you can boast a little by demonstrating how your scientific research contributed to enhancing the situation to achieve preferable results. You are free to use charts and graphics as evidence to support your viewpoint.
- Extra visual aids. If you have any additional visual information that can be a great way to end your story, don’t hesitate to use them to lighten it up a bit.
Case study method is a widespread type of paper in college, which allows your professors to see whether you are aware of how to employ theoretical concepts in real situations.