Human Computer Interface Essay Sample
- Word count: 1035
- Category: computer
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Human Computer Interface Essay Sample
Human-computer interaction is a concerned with the design, evaluation and implementation of interactive computing systems for human use in other meaning it is the study, planning, and design of what happens when you and a computer work together. HCI consists of three parts: the user, the computer itself, and the ways they work together.
What are its uses and applications in today environment?
* Communications-: Electronic mail, computer conferencing, telephone and voice messaging systems
For example human user can exchange messages throgh email application,then computers respond by the inputs from the user when sending and receiveing mail and by doing this human user interact with computer.
* Designing software, such as; CAD/CAM
For example CAD is used for displaying and editing designs on the computer so the human user Input data such as creating ,editing new designs and viewing designs from different angles using keyboard, graphics pad or touch-screen monitors then the computer responds to the user’s input and the user responds to the computer’s output.
* Video games.
For example the player interacts with the computer system through device with buttons or joysticks to play the game in order to achieve his/her goal.
* Software application such as; word, excel, access and power point.
For example the user requests to save a file – the computer asks where to save it – the user decides where to save his/her folder.
Making reference to at least three applications describe how HCI can help in problem solving.
Dream weaver Application:
Dream waver application allows the user to:
1. Light effects.
2. Zoom tool to get control over the design
3. Provide Coding toolbar.
4. Ability to compare files quickly to identify what has changed.
Flash application package:
Flash application allows the user to:
1. Object Drawing model.
2. Text handles, you can easily reposition text blocks with text handles.
Database allows the user to:
1. Enter and edit data
2. Import data from saved files or other applications
3. Search for data by using queries
4. Sort data into alphabetic or numeric order
Describe why each meets the purpose for which it was intended
Dream waver Application: The Insert menu provides methods to insert objects in your web page
Example inserting layers in your web page allow you to position your object anywhere you want.
* Flash Application Package: The Pen tool is used to draw straight lines and curved lines and you can get this tool from the tool panel in flash application.
Microsoft Excel application: because spreadsheet help the user to stores data in cells and performs and displays calculations on the data.
What is required in terms of hardware and software when considering HCI design?
Input device and output device have big impact that some of these devices are able to interact with computer.
Input device is only way which human user can pass information to computer system such as;
1. Keyboard: A keyboard is an input device where data is typed.
2. Trackball: is an input device where a finger is used to rotate a ball. This moves a pointer on the screen
3. Touch-sensitive screen: a screen through which data can be input just by touching it with a finger
Out put device is only way which human user can get information out of computer system such as;
1. Computer screen: is a screen used for computer output
2. Printer: output device for getting image or doucoment from your computer system
3. Speaker: is output device for getting the sound.
These days every product requires some kind of software interface. This is where the user accesses and controls the functionality of the software menus, icons, layout and colors all have to be helpful to achieve the user’s goals.
CAD Computer Aided Design used for displaying and editing designs on the computer, CAD can be used to design
Allow user to:
1. Creating and editing new designs.
2. Viewing designs from different angles.
Having selected three HCI desgins. Compare and contrast them over alternative approaches.
I have to compare between three HCI models: Cognitive model, Linguistics model, Physical and Device model
Cognitive model depends on the users understanding and knowledge, keystrokes and mouse are involved in his model.
This model involves:
* What the user wants to achieve.
* Basic actions of users.
* The way that these goal can be achieved.
For example clicking the button and moving the mouse.
However in Linguistic model the users don’t interact with system much often, but concentrate on the system language. Grammar is used to specify dialogues
Physical and device models
This model involve keystroke, this model design by using simple command and it is split into two phrases
* Acquisition of the task, user builds mental representation of the task.
* Execution of the task using the system facilities such as; pressing a mouse button, pointing and moving the mouse.
The physical operations that are performed by users are the following:
* K key stroking, actually hitting keys on the keyboard.
* P pressing a mouse button.
* D drawing lines using the mouse.
* R system response, this may be ignored if the user does not have to wait for it.
* M mentally preparing for a physical action.
* H homing, switching the hand from the mouse to the keyboard.
* B pressing a mouse button
Physical and device model the interaction with system are not viewed in term of language other than use of command sequences but in Linguistic model the interactions with the system are often viewed in terms of the language however in Cognitive model similarity with linguistic model is interacting with the system.