* Companies that monitor employee computers report increased employee productivity when they implement this type of policy. According to the Computer Monitoring website, most employees use company computers for non-work-related activities, such as online shopping, games, stock trading, personal emails, instant chat conversations and music downloads. This adds up over time, and companies can lose money when their employees are getting paid for non-productive hours. Atmosphere of Distrust
* One of the major disadvantages of implementing employee computer monitoring programs is that it can create a tense work environment. Some employees may feel as if the management team doesn’t trust them, and this can lead to job dissatisfaction and turnover. Most young workers are so accustomed to the different Internet tools, they may be discouraged from working for a company that blocks them from certain websites or prohibits any type of non-work-related computer activities. Personal vs. Professional Time
* If your company culture includes non-traditional work hours, such as regular overtime, working lunches and company-issued laptops or smartphones, you may be faced with issues when implementing a computer monitoring policy. When employers expect employees to be on call at all hours, including responding to emails or phone calls during non-working hours, then there is a fine line between personal and professional time. For example, if you don’t want your employee to leave the office for his allotted hour lunch break, then he should be allowed to take care of personal business during the workday.
* Computer Monitoring: Added Benefits?
* Texas Workforce Commission: Monitoring Company Computers and the Internet
* Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
More Like This
* Writer Pros & Cons
* Pros & Cons of Single Computers Vs. Computer Labs in School
* Pros & Cons of the Use of Computers
You May Also Like
* What are the Pros & Cons of Email Monitoring?
What are the Pros & Cons of Email Monitoring?. In a time where security and safety in the workplace are important considerations…
* Types of Workplace Surveillance Employers use workplace surveillance to monitor electronic communications and other behaviors of their employees. Surveillance tools also monitor behaviors of people … * Cons of Employee Privacy Rights
Employee privacy rights pose disadvantages particularly for employers. asian woman image by huaxiadragon from Fotolia.com * The Disadvantages of Online Transaction Processing
Advanced technology and increasingly sophisticated work rules require employers to implement employee privacy policies. Policies that address privacy issues protect … * What Are the Pros & Cons of Being a Computer Technician? The use of computers in the workplace and in personal life is fueling jobs for computer technicians. This job requires not only… * What Are the Benefits of Computer Forensics?
Computer forensics specialists assist in legal investigations involving computers. man thinking about internet security image by patrimonio designs from Fotolia.com * Pros & Cons of Company Policies & Procedures
Company policies and procedures outline the way business is conducted within that organization, providing guidelines for both employees and managers. Policies and… * The Advantages & Disadvantages of Workplace Monitoring The advancement of technology in the workplace has had many effects on how employees fulfill their duties — and how employers manage… * Difference Between Exempt & Non-Exempt Employees in Florida Though the U.S. federal government defines differences between exempt and non-exempt employees in the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA, some states… * Cons of Outsourcing Professional Computer Technicians
Cons of Outsourcing Professional Computer Technicians. Many companies are attempting to save money by outsourcing their expensive information technology services. * Pros & Cons of Using a Monitor to View TV
Pros & Cons of Using a Monitor to View TV. When an older computer monitor has been replaced by a newer model,… * Pros and Cons of Employee
Employee benefits, once considered a nicety afforded to high-ranking company officials, has become a crucial corporate attraction. In an era of constantly… * Staffing Agency Training
In the fast-paced and competitive world of staffing, industry knowledge and strong business skills are required for a staffing agency to succeed…. * Should Managers Monitor Employee Email & Internet Usage? Almost three-quarters of American businesses check up on what their employees do online. Supporters of monitoring say the practice is necessary to… * Pros & Cons of Employee Empowerment