Installation in the Outside Plant Essay Sample
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Installation in the Outside Plant Essay Sample
Section I: Use a reference such as the IRWA (www.irwaonline.org) to answer the question below. Cite your reference. (citation is worth 2 points)
1. What is a right-of-way? (4 points)
Full Definition of RIGHT-OF-WAY: a legal right of passage over another person’s ground
a : the area over which a right-of-way exists
b : the strip of land over which is built a public road
c : the land occupied by a railroad especially for its main line d : the land used by a public utility (as for a transmission line)
Section II: Using the RIGHT OF WAY Manual for the city of Burleson,Texas available in doc sharing and from the Week 4 iLab page, answer the questions below. (Each question is worth 3 points, section of the manual is worth 2 points)
1. May we dig a trench across the city street shown in this lab? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
Yes, Section 3.3 and 3.6
2. Who issues the permit for this work? Is this a local or state agency? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
Department of Engineering Services, Section 3.2
3. Must we submit construction plans to the city? If so, how many and to what entity are they submitted? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
Yes plans must be submitted to the department of engineering. Sections 3.2 and 3.3
4. Once the permit is issued, how long must we wait before commencing work? How long do you have MAXIMUM to start work? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
Once a construction permit is issued, permittee shall give the Department of Engineering Services a minimum notice of 48 hours prior to commencing work so that a City of Burleson inspector may be assigned. (Section 4) Construction must begin no later than 90 days after permit is issued by the department of engineering services, unless otherwise extended (Section 3.2).
5. How deep must any cables be buried? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
If there is a potential conflict, the location of the city’s fiber optic cables and communication lines. The applicant should contact the Information Services Department at (817) 447-5400 ex 293.
6. What are the exact detailed compaction requirements as listed in the manual provided by the city for restoration of any surface that is trenched? When do compaction of trenches have to occur? What are the backfill to be made of? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
(Section 4.4 C) and (Section 4.5)
Trenches excavated to facilitate operation shall be backfilled and compacted immediately after work is completed, or the bore pits or trenches shall be secured adequately to protect the public. Unless appropriate measures are taken to protect the public from open trenches or bore pits., backfill of all trenches and bore it’s within the right of way shall begin immediately following installation of the new facility in accordance with the attached detailed and the following requirements. (Appropriate measures include barricades, construction fencing or steel plates, or alternate protections, as approved by the Director).
1. All loose concrete, rocks, roots, trash and other debris shall be removed from the excavation prior to any backfill being placed. 2. Backfill material shall consist of the native material obtained from the street excavation unless, in the opinion of the Director, this material is unsuitable for use. 3. All backfill material shall be compacted in lifts of loose depth not exceeding 8 inches and compacted to at least 95% of Standard Proctor Density at optimum moisture content, +/- two percentage points, a determined by ASTM D698 or provide the City with suitable advanced technology compaction testing methods, as approved by the Director. 4. Instead of backfilling with excavated material, the contractor may backfill with flowable backfill material.
In addition, the Director shall have the authority to require any entity or contractor to use flowable fill to backfill an excavation in the public right of way in the interest of preserving the public convenience or safety. Flowable type backfill shall have compression strength of 1500PSI. 5. The City may perform, or have performed, any material test on compaction. The permittee shall notify the city inspector 24 hours prior to completion of backfill. The city shall pay for the first tst at a specific location. The permittee shall incur the cost of additional testing as a result of failed tests at a specific location. 6. If the tests on the backfill do not meet the above requirements, the backfill shall be considered unacceptable and shall be removed and replaced. The permittee shall bear the cost of all corrections and subsequent testing if the backfill is deemed unacceptable.
7. Is the company we hire to do the work required to be registered in any way? If so, what registrations or certifications are accepted? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
Yes, for any work within the state right of way, the public service provider shall, upon request from the City, provide to the Department of Engineering Services evidence of permit from the state. (Section 3.2)
8. When is interference with traffic flow allowed? (3 points) What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
(Section 3.5) Any work that may impact traffic flow or result in lane closure n streets will require a traffic control plan and the closures shall comply with the most current edition of The Texas manual on uniform traffic control devices. The permittee shall indicate on the permit application if a lane closure is required.
9. During what hours may work not be done? (3 points)
What section/sections in the ROW manual for the city of Burleson, Texas are relevant for this question? (2 points)
(Section 3.5) A permitte shall not cause or allow interference with traffic flow on any street included in the Thoroughfare Plan Map during the hours of 7:00 a.m. through 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. through 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Section III: Look at the “Best Practices for Preparing a RFP” document available in doc sharing or from the Week 4 ilab page and answer the questions below. (This document was created by Faulkner Information Services and downloaded from the DeVry library database.)
1. This document is a tutorial prepared to help IT professionals work on RFPs if they have not worked with them in the past. Write a paragraph of at least 10 sentences that outline what you learned when reading this document that you did not know and you will need to consider when writing your RFP? (5 points)
2. What in your mind are some of the reasons RFPs are successful and some reasons they fail? (2 points)
3. Would you consider using online or automated RFP development tools from an outside vendor? Why or why not? (2 points)
4. How will you work to set up the hardware and software requirement portions of an RFP? (2 points)
5. When considering Business needs and project domain, were there surprises in this document that you were not aware had to be addressed in a successful RFP? (2 points)
6. How will you work to determine a short list of suppliers for your RFP? (2 points)
Section IV: Using the RFI template available in doc sharing and from the Week 4 iLab page, answer the questions below.
1. Look at the template provided as an example by Sourcing for OEM www.sourcing4oem.com that is available in doc sharing. How would using a template as a start to creating an RFP or RFI help you with this job? (2 points)
2. Can you create a complete RFP or RFI without investigating the business or technical requirements for the project? How will you use the vendors expertise to help you create a complete and on-time and on-budget project installation? (2 points)
3. What do you think about vendors helping create the RFP and RFI especially if you are working with a company that has a small IT staff or does not have anyone with the expertise to work on a new technology? (2 points)
4. Is this process more complicated that you thought it would be? (2 points)