EthicsA system of moral principles.
dissectionAct or process of dividing, taking apart
Healthcare associated infection (fornally nosocomial)
epidemic Diseases affecting many people at the same time
A weakened bacteria or virus given to a person to build immunity against a disease. 1. What ancient culture was the first to organize medical care? (physicians with armies, beginning of hospitals and public health) Romans 2. What contribution did ancient China make to medicine? Acupuncture 3. What disease is an ancient example of a pandemic? ,a modern pandemic? 4. What period of time was marked by custodial care and epidemics? The Dark Ages and the Middle Ages 5. “Rebirth” of learning occurred during the Renaissance period. What major changes in medicine occurred during this period? Building of uni’s and medical schools, search for new ideas about disease instead of God, the acceptance of dissection of the body, dev of printing press and publishing of books allowed greater access to knowledge.
People to know:
HippocratesThe Father of Medicine
William Harvey First described the circulation of blood and the pumping of the heart Rene’ Laennec
Ernst von Bergmann
Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin
Francis Crick and James Watson
6. Describe the correct appearance of a healthcare worker.
7. Discuss desirable behaviors in a healthcare worker. (standards of behavior)
8. Why is patient confidentiality important?
9. What are the responsibilities of the CDC?
10 What is the role of OSHA? FDA?
11. What is the difference between “for profit” and “not for profit” medical facilities?
12. What is managed care?
13. Describe the “chain of command”.
14. Describe a HMO (Health Maintainance Organization).
15. What is the role of Medicaid?
16. What is the role of Medicare?
17. What are the conditions that affect the growth of bacteria? 18. Describe the chain of infection.
19. Identify 5 ways that microorganisms and viruses are spread? Name examples of each? Identify prevention measures for each. 20. What are the signs and symptoms of a generalized infection? localized infection? 21. Define standard precautions.
22. Additional precautions that are taken when a patient is suspected or known to be carrying an infectious disease are called ______________________ – ____________ _________________. 23. Describe what is involved in Airborne, Droplet and Contact Precautions. 24. Wearing PPE, washing hands, special handling of sharps and disinfecting reusable equipment are all included in _____________ precautions. 25. What is the correct order for donning PPE? Removing PPE? 26. Identify the functions of OSHA.
27. Describe the 4 types of acquired immunity and give examples of each. 28. What is the difference between medical asepsis and surgical asepsis? 29. Personal protective equipment is provided to the employee by the _____________. 30. What is a HEPA mask? When is it used?
31. When would you need to use protective eyewear? gloves? mask? gown?
32. What is antibiotic resistant bacteria?
32. How can you help to prevent antibiotic resistant bacteria?