A man from Gin Gin, west of Bundaberg in south-east Queensland, has been jailed for stealing more than $32,000 during a seven-month crime spree. Anton Michael Janezic, 39, pleaded guilty to 34 charges including fraud, theft, drug and driving offences between September 2009 and April last year. Of the fraud charges, 15 relate to activity in the bank account of Duingal man, Robert Pitman, who was found dead in his caravan after a fire last April. Magistrate Jennifer Batts told the Bundaberg Magistrates Court the facts of the case showed Janezic was someone who was willing to say and do anything when it suited him. She sentenced him to two-and-a-half years in jail, declaring 260 days already served, and disqualified him from driving for four years. He will be released on parole in March.
Date of article: Mon Jan 24, 2011
Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-01-24/man-jailed-for-crime-spree/1916468 Name of offender: Anton Michael Janezic
Stole more than $32,000, got charged for 34 offences between 2009 and 2011. Got sentenced to 2 and a half years in jail. His court hearing was held in the magistrates court.
Police release pair over Sarah Cafferkey’s murder
UPDATE: TWO men arrested today over the murder of Sarah Cafferkey have been released from police custody. A 32-year-old from Tarneit and a 34-year-old from Point Cook, who were arrested at a Tarneit home about midday, were released from the St Kilda Rd police complex pending further inquiries. The pair was released about 9pm after being questioned by detectives, with the investigation into Ms Cafferkey’s death continuing. It comes as community members held a candlelight vigil to remember Ms Cafferkey tonight. Point Cook residents, shocked by the discovery of Ms Cafferkey’s body in a house in the suburb, attended the vigil at a local park at 7.30pm. Organiser Alice Osborne said the community wanted to show their respect for Sarah and her family. “The community is devastated … we are also wanting to show Sarah’s family we are very saddened about what has happened and we care for them and are supporting them,” Ms Osborne said. Yesterday, the man accused of stabbing Ms Cafferkey to death and dumping her body in a wheelie bin sat silent in court.
In an olive polo shirt and with a shag of bleach-blond hair, Steven James Hunter appeared briefly in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court charged with murder. His lawyer noted the case already had received significant media attention and, while asking that Hunter’s street address be deleted from the charge sheet to be released to the media, he told Magistrate Donna Bakos he hoped the press would “be mindful” that Hunter had now been charged. Prosecutor Luke Exell said that the police brief of evidence would be served on Hunter’s solicitors by February. Hunter sat staring into his lap during the procedural filing hearing.
With powerful arms, one bearing a visible tattoo, he stood when Ms Bakos addressed him. She noted he had no custody management issues and had no intention of applying for bail. Homicide squad investigators arrested Hunter on Tuesday after he was tracked to a flat in Caroline St, Hawthorn. The special operations group locked down the street before telling Hunter to come out with his hands up. It took Hunter less than a minute to emerge from the second-storey unit. An out-of-sessions hearing on Tuesday night heard Hunter fatally stabbed 22-year-old Ms Cafferkey with repeated blows at his Bacchus Marsh address on November 10. Detective Sen-Constable Damien O’Mahoney told the court Hunter had made admissions about the killing. He will appear in court on March 27.
Date of article: November 22, 2012
Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/police-release-pair-over-sarah-cafferkeys-murder/story-fncynjr2-1226521545101 Name of offender: Steven James Hunter