Media Convergence Worksheet Essay Sample
- Pages: 5
- Word count: 1,185
- Rewriting Possibility: 99% (excellent)
- Category: media
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Introduction of TOPIC
1. What is meant by the term media convergence with regard to technology, and how has it affected everyday life? Honestly from my point of view I was never aware of the phrase “convergence” until I was enrolled in my current HUM 176 class. Convergence is generally classified as the transmission and compatibility of various digital compositions such as music, radio, videos, pictures and data through an array of electronic devices which include mobile phones, television, computers, and gaming consoles. Along with this, convergence in a technological form can be acknowledged as the compatibility of data among various computer platforms. Technological convergence becomes present when an asset that is discharged shares or borrows numerous factors and supplements other products with the intentions of taking advantage and performing multiple functions. According to the reading, Modern Media convergence has broadened in such a way that the simple merging of newer and older forms could exist.
Furthermore, technological convergence has influenced the everyday life by impacting telecommunication. A good example of this would be categorized as “triple play.” In saying this many people access the internet by using a DSL line that uses a particular IP address and allows an assortment of options such as Internet TV whether it is free or on demand, voice telephone options such as Skype and other simple internet services which include Facebook and Windows Live Messenger. These services allow an individual to have free audio and calls between users. I believe that our technology has an extreme affect on everyday life, most of us would not know how to function without it, including myself. I never thought I would depend so much on technology, because I grew up in a time without it.
2. What is meant by the term media convergence with regard to business, and how has it affected everyday life? Media convergence in regards to businesses is define as “companies across the business spectrum from media to telecommunications to technology who have merged or formed strategic alliances in order to develop new business models that can profit from the growing consumer expectation for “on demand” content” (www.Britannica.com). Studies have shown that in the rapidly developing world of convergence technology, content, and dispensing are accumulating at a speed that has never been seen before. Consumers are now more educated on modern technology and its distribution platforms and have actively decided to engage with media and advertising in new ways.
Convergence definitely has the ability to fundamentally recreate today’s business maps, fueling a shift towards consumers that connects them on this social revolution. It has been proven that if a business continues to embrace the idea of me
dia convergence that there is a wealth of opportunities that would be available to them. With saying
3. What are some of the issues that result from dependency on modern media? Describe at least three issues. ϕ One of the issues that became present as a result of modern media dependency would be |internet addiction. Internet addiction is characterized as a momentum control disorder, which doesn’t involve the use of drugs but can be compared to gambling. It’s typical for some internet users to establish an emotional attachment to their online friends and activities that they have brought to life on their computer screens. Internet users have the luxury of enjoying the features of the internet that allow them to converge, join, and exchange ideas by the use of chat rooms, social networking, websites, or their virtual communities. Other users spend hours upon hours researching topics of their interest through blogging. The true definition of blogging is when an individual tends to post commentaries and keep track of events.
Internet addicts use the “virtual fantasy” provided by the internet to connect with others as a substitution for the real life human relationships. κ Another issue that has a toll on society in the media world is cyber bullying. For those who are not knowledgeable on this term it is referred to as when a child, preteen, or teen is tormented, humiliated, harassed, embarrassed or in other words targeted by another child by using the internet, interactive and digital technologies, and mobile phones. Many lives have been taken and destroyed due to young people being so mean to other children. λ The final issue that I would like to mention is the overload of multi-tasking. It’s very evident that having all of your resources and the tip of your finger has become the way of life today but studies are showing that this entire overload is really taking a toll on our brains. With all the overload focusing is one the elements that we are experiencing a declination in.
4. How does media literacy help with responsible media consumption? For those who are not aware media literacy is the ability to understand exactly how mass media works, produces their meanings, how they are organized, and how to use the sources wisely. It has the ability to use inquiries based on an educational model that pushes individuals to ask questions about what they see, hear, and read. Media literacy provides instruments to help people critically analyze messages to distinguish propaganda, censorship, and bias in news and public affairs programming. Furthermore, media literacy aims to enable the people of today to become very tactful creators and producers of media messages by providing an understanding, as well as to develop independent media. This concept has expanded beyond conceptualization of literacy.
By transforming the process of media consumption into an active and critical process people gain greater awareness of the potential for fabrication and manipulation which is commonly present in commercials and public relations techniques. As a result of this we now understand the role of mass media and participatory media has an effect in constructing views of reality. Educators in this |field of media strive to address the balance between protections and empowerment. They emphasize the need to be aware of the negative aspects of mass media. Even though it pays to knowledgeable of the technological advances as individuals we need to assess on how the negatives aspects as well. To each its own but I feel like in a sense people are really taking advantage of a good thing and abusing it.