Method Of Testing Seed Essay Sample
- Pages: 1
- Word count: 271
- Rewriting Possibility: 99% (excellent)
- Category: plant
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Introduction of TOPIC
Seed health refers to the health status of a seed. Sowing healthy seeds of high quality is our concern to improve crop yields thus increasing food production. It has a great concern to farmers and seed producing agencies where the disease is high and average yields are low and where more food is needed to feed the ever-increasing population.
• RAG-DOLL OR ROLLED TOWEL METHOD – lay seeds in a moist cloth and roll the cloth with uniform folds. After some time , seeds will sprout. • DINNER PLATE OR BLOTTER METHOD – seeds are placed in a plate with wet sand and then covered with sheets of moist blotting paper or with another plate . • SEEDBOX METHOD – contains moist sand 12 cm. deep in which a given number of seeds are planted.PERCENTAGE OF GERMINATION – To find the percentage of germination of a particular seed , usethe rag-doll method of testing seeds.
• To calculate the Percentage of Germination , use the formula :
P.G. = GS / SS × 100
• In rolled towel test , 56 seeds germinated out of 125 seeds planted. Find the percentage of germination .
Solution : P.G. = 56 / 125 × 100 = 44.8
• The new seeding rate ( N.S.R.) is obtained by deviding the Recommended Seedling Rate (R.S.R ) by its percentage of germination. So NSR = R.S.R. / P.G. • If the percentage of germination is 45 % , find the new seedling rate of corn if its recommended seedling rate is 8 kg. per hectar.
Solution : N.S.R. = 8 kg. / 45 /100 = 17.78 kg. or ha.