Modals: Modal Verb and Substitute Form Essay Sample
- Pages: 5
- Word count: 1,144
- Rewriting Possibility: 99% (excellent)
- Category: verb
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Try it free!
Complete the sentences using the words listed in the box below, then click the “Check” button to check your answers. Don’t forget to capitalize when necessary. Some gaps may have more than one correct answer. can could have to must might should 1. Ted’s flight from Amsterdam took more than 11 hours. He be exhausted after such a long flight. He prefer to stay in tonight and get some rest. 2.
get some rest. 2. If you want to get a better feeling for how the city is laid out, you walk downtown and explore the waterfront. 3. Hiking the trail to the peak be dangerous if you are not well prepared for dramatic weather changes. You research the route a little more before you attempt the ascent. 4. When you have a small child in the house, you leave small objects lying around. Such objects be swallowed, causing serious injury or even death. 5. Dave: you hold your breath for more than a minute?
Nathan: No, I can’t.
6. Jenny’s engagement ring is enormous! It have cost a fortune. 7. Please make sure to water my plants while I am gone. If they don’t get enough water, they die. 8. I speak Arabic fluently when I was a child and we lived in Egypt. But after we moved back to Canada, I had very little exposure to the language and forgot almost everything I knew as a child. Now, I just say a few things in the language. 9. The book is optional. My professor said we read it if we needed extra credit. But we read it if we don’t want to. 10. Leo: Where is the spatula? It be in this drawer but it’s not here. Nancy: I just did a load of dishes last night and they’re still in the dish washer. It be in there. That’s the only other place it be. 11. You take your umbrella along with you today. The weatherman on the news said there’s a storm north of here and it rain later on this afternoon.
12. we pull over at the next rest stop? I really use the bathroom and I don’t know if I hold it until we get to Chicago. 13. Oh no! Frank’s wallet is lying on the coffee table. He have left it here last night. 14. Ned: I borrow your lighter for a minute?
Stephen: Sure, no problem. Actually, you keep it if you want to. I’ve given up smoking. 15. I believe she said that to Megan! She insult her cooking in front of everyone at the party last night. She have just said she was full or had some salad if she didn’t like the meal. 16. Do you chew with your mouth open like that? Geez, it’s making me sick watching you eat that piece of pizza. 17. Mrs. Scarlett’s body was found in the lounge just moments ago, and it’s still warm! Nobody has left the mansion this evening, so the killer be someone in this room. It be any one of us!!! 18. Ted: I don’t know why Denise starting crying when I mentioned the wedding. Pamela: It have been what you said about her brother. Or, perhaps she is just nervous. After all, the big day is tomorrow. 19. you always say the first thing that pops into your head? you think once in awhile before you speak? 20. I was reading the book last night before I went to bed. I never took it out of this room. It be lying around here somewhere. Where it be? be swallowed, causing serious injury or even death.
A-Choose the suitable modal verb. 1-I have no time. I leave now or I miss the bus. 2-I wish I buy a new mobile phone but I don’t have enough money. 3-She looks tired; she take some days off. 4-Judy is not at home. She have gone to Madrid, I don’t know. 5-Tom play tennis quite well. I usually play with him every weekend. 6- we go out tonight, please? Yes, but you be late. 7-I haven’t decided yet where I go in my next holidays. I think I go to Paris. 8- you water my plants while I am away? If they don’t get enough water they certainly die. B-Insert a suitable modal verb. 1-Jack come to our wedding, but we aren’t sure. 2- I buy the tickets for the concert? I see you’re too busy. 3-We pay the fees at the fixed time. 4-You clean your room more often. 5-If it rains on Saturday, we go to the beach. 6- you speak German? No, I . 7-Jane not play the violin when she was five, but now she play it very well. 8-You not be so nervous. I think it be very easy.
1) Last week we could go swimming, this week we can’t.
2) Maybe the Smiths will be able to build a new house next year.
3) If you try hard, you can pass your examinations.
4) When I was five, I could not swim.
5) Dennis could play the trumpet after four months.
6) Luke has passed his driving test, now he can drive a car.
7) I could not speak to him on the phone for three weeks last month.
8) Alex will not be able to do his homework when his desk is in such a mess.
9) They were so busy, they could not write me a text message.
10) Lisa has been able to clean her dress. She can wear it again.
Choose the right modal verb
1. There is plenty of tomatoes in the fridge. You needn’t buy any.
2. It’s a hospital. You mustn’t smoke.
3. He had been working for more than 11 hours. He must be tired after such haed work. He may prefer to get some rest.
4. I could speak Arabic fluently when I was a child and we lived in Morocco. But after we moved back to Canada, I had very little exposure to the language and forgot almost everything I knew as a child. Now, I canjust say a few things in the language.
5. The teacher said we can read this book for our own pleasure as it is optional. But we can read it if we don’t want to.
6. Canyou stand on your head for more than a minute? No, I can’t.
7. If you want to learn to speak English fluently, you need to work hard.
8. Take an umbrella. It might rain later.
9. You shouldn’t leave small objects lying around . Such objects may be swallowed by children.
10. People mustn’t walk on grass.
11. Drivers must stop when the traffic lights are red.
12. May I ask a question? Yes, of course.
13. You needn’t take your umbrella. It is not raining.
14. Can you speak Italian? No, I can’t.
Sorry, but A and B essays are only available for premium usersChoose a Membership Plan