1. Describe bone physiology and the bone remodeling cycle. Be sure to emphasize the two types of bone tissue and the role of osteoblasts and osteoclasts.
2. Explain the relationship between calcium and bones.
3. Explain how the body controls calcium levels in the bones and blood. Be sure to describe the roles of parathyroid hormone (PTH) and calcitonin in detail.
4. Explain specifically how osteoporosis affects the bone matrix and the normal bone remodeling cycle.
5. Discuss what scientists know about the genetics behind osteoporosis.
6. Explain the risk factors for this disease.
Signs and Symptoms:
7. What are the symptoms or telltale signs of osteoporosis?
8. What bones are fractures most likely to occur? (due to to low bone density/osteoporosis)