Practicum Report in Restaurant Essay Sample
- Word count: 1199
- Category: organization
A limited time offer!
Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteedOrder Now
Practicum Report in Restaurant Essay Sample
• Trace the history of the restaurant.
• Draw / illustrate the logo of the restaurant in full color and discuss it how and why it was designed as such.
• Rationale / reasons of choosing the name and location of the restaurant.
• Discuss the type of ownership and management styles used in the operation.
• Take pictures of the restaurant’s external appearance (such as front view and other possible sides).
• Provide drawings of the location map and vicinity map of the area with specific landmarks to easily provide descriptions how to get there from the university.
• Describe the distance away from the school.
• Take 3600 pictures of the vicinity of the area to provide idea of the location and immediate competitor.
Philosophy, Mission and Vision
• Discuss the institution’s purpose of existence and the target to which the company directs its efforts. • Discuss the main principles and thrust of the company.
• Take pictures of staff and post in the organization set-up of the restaurant with corresponding names of the people holding different positions (from top management to general staff) in the organization chart. • Discuss lines of authority, chain of command and span of control of each position.
• Write the detailed outline of routine tasks and side duties for each
I. Restaurant Manager
Basic Function: Responsible for maintaining a smooth and efficient flow of operation in the restaurant, and sees to it that everything is carried out in accordance with prescribed standards and policies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Organizes the flow of the front-of-the house and back-of-the house.
2. Delegates side duties to subordinates.
3. Conducts job orientation and training.
• Outline the qualification requirements for each position.
I. Restaurant Manager:
1. With 5 years job experience in the same field.
2. Graduate of any management course or equivalent to management course.
3. Can speak and write fluent English communication.
4. With pleasing personality
5. Between 25 to 40 years of age.
• Describe in detail how the task will be performed and the steps and procedures that will be followed in performing each tasks.
I. Restaurant Manager:
1. Delegate side duties to subordinates
a. Check productivity report of each position in the organization. b. Identify each main functions needed to perform on each line of work. c. Identify other functions to be able to maximize the work to be performed in each position. d. Match the work program with manpower schedule and identify the specific position to handle each responsibility. e. Delegate the function to specific position.
Standard Operating Procedures
• Provide detailed and comprehensive check list of standards of quality, productivity, costs, safety, sanitation and other functions. • State desired results of work performed by using inspection checklist.
• Illustrate sample workloads of dining staff for one cut-off period; provide a work schedule as Gantt chart. • Discuss available number of workers for every shift/period of workload/schedule per cut-off.
Facilities and Layout
• Draw the restaurant’s layout and floor plan showing both the dining and production area in one plan. • Take pictures of the different facilities and discuss each function in the restaurant.
• Provide pictures and describe the working atmosphere of the restaurant in terms of illumination, color, temperature, noise and music, flow of traffic, and work conditions.
Use of Material Resources
• Provide and discuss sample of forms like menu, brochures, order slips, suggestion cards, tent cards, and others.
Safety and Sanitation Procedures and Practices
• Describe and explain the safety and sanitation programs of the establishment and how they are being implemented and monitored by the management. • Provide insights / comments of different staff on the actual implementation of the program in relation to their operation.
• Discuss the unique features of the restaurant compared to other restaurants such as concept design and special services offered.
SWOT ANALYSIS, STRATEGIC PLANS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
• Discuss the advantages of the internal resources of the restaurant such as managerial skills, workflow, organization structure, values, cultures and attitudes of personnel, service they offer, customer satisfaction, and restaurant facilities.
• Describe the incapacities and shortages of the available resources of the restaurant. • Problems encountered and difficulties in the internal
• Discuss how the external environments (stakeholders, government, suppliers, local communities, competitors, customers, creditors, labor unions, special interest groups and trade associations) can positively affect the restaurant operation. Threats
• Discuss how the external environments (stakeholders, government, suppliers, local communities, competitors, customers, creditors, labor unions, special interest groups and trade associations) can negatively affect the restaurant operation.
• Provide SWOT (TOWS) Matrix:
o List 5 – 10 factors in Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats
• Give some strategic alternatives on what course of action the management should take in relation to improving the weaknesses of the restaurant in light of its company strengths. • Give some strategic alternatives on what course of action the management should take in relation to overcome threats of the restaurant in light of its potential opportunities.
• Specify which of the strategic alternatives you are recommending for the overall operation of the restaurant. • Justify your recommendation in terms of the ability of the management to resolve the problems encountered in the restaurant operation, include budget and process of implementation. • What are the means of control measures that will be set-up for the program?
Objectives of the Practicum
• Relate your restaurant practicum experiences on each objectives of the restaurant practicum program. • Discuss how the restaurant practicum program of the participating restaurant provided you the training to achieve / successfully attain each objective.
A. General Objectives:
To acquire practical knowledge/skills on the operational aspect of the different departments in a foodservice establishment.
B. Specific Objectives:
1. Associate key positions in the foodservice industries and relate operations to their corresponding tasks and responsibilities.
2. Identify and comprehend standard operational procedures and techniques of each of the sections/departments assigned.
3. Perform the specific tasks required in the sections/departments assigned.
4. Appreciate the importance of efficient operational policies and procedures in relation to the overall management of the foodservice operations.
5. Be familiar with the equipment, facilities and layout design of each department.
6. Analyze and evaluate operational procedures in each assigned department and recommend the appropriate course of action to improve them.
7. Determine the phase of foodservice work that best suits him or her for future employment considerations.
• Discuss learning experiences encountered during on-the-job training, attached all information written inside the logbook or weekly report.
Improvement on the Restaurant Practicum Training Program
• Discuss on how to improve present restaurant practicum training program. Internal Factors