Born on 6th May, 1856 in Freiberg. He had two half brothers, Emmanuel and Philipp. His mother was same age as his half brother
He studied medicine and specialized in Psychiatry
Martha Bernays in 1982 did cocaine and lots of it.
Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis
Master piece- “The Interpretation of Dreams” in 1900
The concept of “unconscious”.
Driven out of Austria in1938 by Nazis.
He died in London on September 23,1939
PSYCHOANALYSIS – An Overview
• A set of philosophical descriptions of human nature.
• A method of psychotherapy development that focuses on unconscious factors that motivates behavior and allows the therapists to gain information and create connection between the clients and themselves.
• A theory of personality which is developed through different stages in life.
• Psychoanalysis asserts that the impact of early childhood sexuality an experiences stored in the unconscious state, can lead to the development of adult emotional problems.
• Present from birth
• Driven by pleasure principle, which strives for immediate gratification of all desires, wants, needs
• Deals with reality
• Functions with conscious, preconscious, and unconscious minds
• Contains values and social morals
• Make judjements
Freud’s defense mechanisms includes the following:
The ego pushes unacceptable impulses out of awareness and back into the unconscious mind
The ego replaces less acceptable motives with more acceptable ones.
The ego shifts unacceptable feelings from one object to another.
The ego replaces unacceptable impulses with socially acceptable ones.
The ego attributes personal shortcomings, faults, and problems to others.
6. REACTION FORMULA:
The ego transforms an unacceptable motives to it’s opposite. 7. DENIAL:
The ego refuses to acknowledge anxiety’s producing realities. 8. REGRESSION:
The ego seeks security from an earlier development period in the face of stress.
It is a verbal or Memory mistake that is believed to be linked to unconscious mind
Life Instincts : Those that deal with basic survival , pleasure and reproduction.
Death Instincts : “The Goal of all Life is death”
Founder of Psychoanalysis
Initially an advocate and user of cocaine
Developed the use of “Talk therapy”
Became a doctor In order to marry the women he loved
Was forced to leave Vienna by the Nazis
More than 30 surgeries to treat Mouth Cancer