The English language has become the language of international communication. Many people living in the European Union speak English as a foreign language and use English to communicate with people from all over the world There are over 750 million people who speak English as a foreign language. In the year 2000 the British Council said that there were about a billion people learning English. These people are benefiting from the many advantages of learning English as a foreign language. Travel
Travel and tourism around the world is carried out in English. If you are planning a holiday to a foreign country you will probably be speaking English not only at the airport but also in the country itself. Information exchange
One of the biggest advantages of learning English as a second language is that you will be able to discover a world of information. English is the language of the internet world. If you are learning English as a foreign language you will be able to send e-mails to people in English from all over the world. These are only a few advantages of learning English as a foreign language. Why not take a language course with inlingua Malta and experience these advantages yourself!
* English is the primary language of business throughout the world. Most international business transactions, including emails, memos, reports and contracts, are written in English. Employment Opportunities
* The ability to fluently speak the English language in addition to your native language can be beneficial if you’re seeking job opportunities with international companies. The ability to speak a language spoken by most business people can place you a step ahead of the competition. Movies
* Major Hollywood movies have dialogue in English. The plot of these movies is easier to follow if the person watching the movie speaks English. Subtitles in other languages can sometimes cause the meanings of words to be lost in the translation, and they can be a distraction or even block the action taking place on the screen. Travel
* The English language is predominantly spoken throughout the world, so international travelers may find that speaking English can make their travels a little easier. Most hotel and restaurant employees, as well as store merchants, probably speak English to some degree. Schools
* Students from other countries who attend school in the United States will benefit greatly if they can know basic English. This knowledge will help them communicate better with both their students and teachers. The students also will have an easier time with any research or readings they are assigned. Academics
* The English language is the predominant language of academics all over the world, with a large amount of research conducted, written and presented in English. Knowing English can helpful for scholars who wish to communicate their ideas and research findings to peers in their field. Computers
* Most software programs are written in English. Those seeking to expand their computer knowledge can find the ability to read and understand the English language invaluable.
Jeanne Baird is a freelance writer with a decade of experience as a proofreader, editor and writer. She has been the associate editor for an engineering society handbook and a project manager for an independent publishing company. Baird also has edited business and entertainment news from several international newswires.
English is the primary language of business throughout the world. The English language is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, second only to Mandarin. That English is used almost everywhere is only one of the many advantages of learning the language.
Learning English can also help you to meet new people. You can practice your English with someone who is also learning. Another option is to do a sort of “trade-off” in your language practicing. For example, if you speak Spanish and are learning English, you might practice speaking with someone who speaks English and wants to learn Spanish. It can be a fun way to get practice and learn to speak in a more natural way. There are also numerous opportunities to teach English as a second language, which can be a great way to travel and see the world. Traveling to a foreign country is another great way to practice your language skills, but it also makes for a less stressful experience when you have some knowledge of the spoken language. Because English is a first language for many countries including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland, among others, many other foreign countries teach English as a requirement in schools.
It is estimated that over a billion people in the world speak English on at least a basic level. Learning English presents many new opportunities that you may not have had before, so if you have the time and the motivation, it can be a very rewarding experience. There are numerous benefits to learning English as a foreign language. English is now the language of global business, or the lingua franca. This means that in the international business community, English is used for communication by people who do not speak the same language. English is generally considered to be second only to Mandarin Chinese in the number of people who speak the language. It is, however, impossible to know at any given time how many English speakers there are in the world, or how many people are currently learning English. Estimates are quite high. There are many classes offered in learning English as a second language at universities, schools and community learning centers. Some are even free, so it is a great idea to take advantage of the opportunity.
Depending on where you live in the world, you may be educated in American English or British English. American English is the language spoken in the United States, whereas British English is the language spoken in the United Kingdom. The languages are quite similar, though there are naturally different words, dialects and accents found in each. Learning English can broaden your employment opportunities. People who speak two or more languages are ideal candidates for jobs in travel, international business, or translation. People who work with the general public, such as those who work in hospitals or in law enforcement, are often encouraged to speak a second language to better improve communication when it is most vital. 1. The main benefit a person gains when committing to learn English or any language is the ability to communicate with the language itself and create connections with a wider range of the world’s population. 2. The brain benefits from language learning by undergoing a change in electrical activity.
Before this study it was believed this change in brain functioning only occurred when students had obtained a high level of language ability in the new language, but this study revealed this change may occur at the earliest stages of language learning. 3. Another benefit of language learning is a “superior memory function.” Language learning showed an increase in memory capacities, this was especially strong in short-term memory. This is a huge benefit because it allows the brain to keep information in the brain for longer durations while thinking processes are activated. 4. The brain also benefits from language learning by gaining increased mental flexibility. The article explains this keeps mental path ways “opened up” which allows a person to use “differing avenues for thought.” Language learning helps “exercise” the brain to keep it flexible and agile. 5. A person also benefits from language learning by gaining increased problem-solving abilities in all of the following areas: abstract thinking skills, concept formation, creative hypothesis formulation, strengthened capacity to identify, understand and solve problems; the ability to focus on a task by filtering out distractions and extraneous information and an increase in multi-tasking ability. 6. Language acquisition also benefits a person by creating a greater comprehension for how language works and is used.
The study found individuals with multilingual communication were able to better read and interpret social situations, which improved their performance in social settings. 7. Learning multiple languages also helps prevent the deterioration of brain functioning over time. The study reports that individuals who were multilingual had a decreased rate of 2 to 4 years in the development of age-related cognitive problems such as dementia. 8. The culmination of all these advantages results in one last benefit: an increased ability in digital literacy. Because of these quickened mental abilities individuals which are multilingual have a noticeable ability to stay up to date with modern technologies. Reading about this benefit reminded me of this quote: “Our intelligence tends to produce technological and social change at a rate faster than our institutions and emotions can cope with…
We therefore find ourselves continually trying to accommodate new realities within inappropriate existing institutions, and trying to think about those new realities in traditional but sometimes dangerously irrelevant terms.” (War: The Lethal Custom, p. 441). Clearly having increased mental agility due to language acquisition helps the average language learners better stay adrift all of the technological and informational changes constantly evolving in today’s world. * Travel – As we know that English is an international language, which is spoken by a majority of population in the world. So you do not have to worry about being totally misunderstood when you visit a new place or country. * Study – Most of the books and instructions are written in English. Almost every subject such as Science, Math, History, Geography and others are all taught in English. Learning will be much easier if you know how to speak it.
* Information – Most information provided through printed materials or from the internet are mainly written in English. If you’re able to master the language you have higher opportunity to learn more. Studies indicate that more than 80% of the webpages are written in English. Imagine the loss of valuable information you will be missing if you don’t know to speak or write English. * Communication – More than a billion people around the world speak English language. Most of the international conferences, seminars and trainings are in English. The language is considered to be an international medium of communication. * Entertainment – Most of the time, good movies and theater plays use the English language. So if you know the language you’ll be able to appreciate them even more.