The Impact of ICT – The Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Types of ICT Essay Sample
- Pages: 5
- Word count: 1,293
- Rewriting Possibility: 99% (excellent)
- Category: software
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all help you need with your essay and educational issues.Get Access
Introduction of TOPIC
This software is a program that allows people to stay in contact and complete processes otherwise un-doable. It was originally made so American scientists could communicate across the country with ease. This has affected billions, with over 1 quarter of people having access to it.
– Easy information access
– Many applications for everyone
– Unsecured, and some information false
– Easy for fraudsters.
Television- Television is a method of sending and receiving visual and aural data. People also use CCTV (closed circuit television) to capture the aforementioned. TV has been used and advanced since the late 1930s.
– Many attachments for it.
– Advanced and is a worldwide used product
– Can be very pricey
– Peoples lives revolve around it.
iPods are MP3 players made by the computing company, Apple. They are much higher in price than other MP3s, possibly because of the brand and compatibility of the products. Now there are so many of this specific brand, from the ‘nano shoots video’ campaign advertising the new iPod Nano, to ‘the funnest iPod ever’, the new iPod touch with it’s massive selection of games and applications.
– Music on the go
– Many interactive features
– iPods are associated with many road accidents
– Very expensive
Computers are machines that execute instructions upon command. They are are used by the masses and see the internet very often. This is a service that encompasses the globe, with billions of users. It is a very efficient way of sharing data. Computers require hardware (the circuit boards and equipment inside it) and software (the programs and operating systems, these are intangible) to run. There are many brands of hardware; Apple, Dell, Acer, Time.
There are also many brands and types of softwares; Apple’s Snow Leopard OS, Microsoft’s Windows 7 OS, Microsoft Office, Linux. Computers can be priced from around ï¿½200 pounds to ï¿½15,000. The Mac Pro with the best specifications is priced at ï¿½15,000.
– Smaller data storage (Compared to papers etc.)
– New operating systems easier to navigate
Disadvantages – If data is not backed up it may
– There are many compatibility issues with computers
Games consoles are widely used computers that are designed to play programs of a specific nature. These are usually made for leisure although the newest generation of games consoles are also based around social interaction. The Xbox 360, for example, has Facebook, Twitter and their own network of friends (Xbox Live) in which you can now talk, watch TV, and play games on with friends. *
– Games are relatively cheap considering lifespan
– Plug in a few wires and you are online!
– Can potentially damage eyes if played too much
– Shooting games can influence young children.
USB pen drives
Universal Serial Buses are data storage and transference devices. They can hold any format of data, but are usually limited to holding 2 to 10 gigabytes of data. These are very widely used in a variety of countries and are the norm in removable data storage.
– Easy data transference
– Compatible with any file type
– Breaks easy, a waste of money
– Easily lost.
Radio is a type of sound transmission which is widely used, possibly throughout the whole world. They are transmitted on many different frequencies and wavelengths, mainly Medium Wave (used mainly for AM transmission), FM (Frequency Modulation) and AM (Amplitude Modulation)
– Can tune in virtually anywhere
– Is accessible even on the move, and over aforementioned good quality signals.
– There are many advertisements on regular radio.
– The sound is very fuzzy on many radios.
‘Email’ is a type of sending and receiving data. There are many different types, Spam, image, HTML etc. Everyone that signs up can choose an available email on their domain.
– It’s faster than just posting
– Most are free, unless commercial or mass.
– Email is the medium for spam messages; many do not contain wanted content.
– Emails are not encrypted
The Mobile is another way of receiving data wirelessly mainly over the global GSM network. There are very few blank spots in the world but they are there! There are about 6 Billion mobiles in the world, which means that 6/7 of the people in the world own a mobile.
– It is more efficient, as you can call from anywhere instead of just your house.
– If you are in an accident, you can call 999 from anywhere.
– They heat the water in your brain, which can damage you.
– Reception isn’t worldwide.
Microsoft Windows is an Operating System that is publicly available worldwide. It is the most successful Operating System family in the world. The newest addition to the family is Windows 7. This went on sale on 22 October 2009. It is used in the aforementioned Computers.
– Everyone (virtually) uses it.
– Easier than most other OS.
– Newer ones are a lot less compatible.
– Many flaws present, and for a large cost.
*= Sales of recent video games consoles