Most Common Bad Study Habits Essay Sample
- Word count: 1270
- Category: habits
A limited time offer!
Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteedOrder Now
Most Common Bad Study Habits Essay Sample
This section should be pre-empted by noting that everyone has a different study habit. It is important to find your personal best way to study, as you may hate music, while others love it. The following list is a generalization of all problems that students have encountered while studying. Some may apply to you, while others not. Either way, we have provided an explanation and “fix” to the problem. 1. Studying with Friends
* Explanation: While fun, sometimes you may lose out on quality study time by socializing. * Fix: Find one good study-buddy if you like group studying. Otherwise, “just say no” when everyone wants to study together. 1. Too much Music
* Explanation: Noise and music can interfere with the brain’s abilite to comprehend new information. It can also distract you from focusing on the material at hand. * Fix: If you need music in the background, find a specific type (usually classical) that works well for you. Don’t keep changing it around. When there are no lyrics, then it is easier to focus on the words on the paper in your hand. 1. Bad Environment
* Explanation: A poor study environment can ruin all quality time. If you are uncomfortable at a chair, desk, room, the temperature is too cold or too hot, you will be unsuccessful studying. * Fix: Test out different sites until you find the best place for you. It may be the library, it may be your room, your bed, your best friend’s backhouse. Who knows? Find what works best for you and stick with it. 1. Last Minute Cramming
* Explanation: While many people swear by the cramming method, it is ultimately terrible at long term knowledge retention and can cause undue stress. * Fix: Study for days up until the test. Or, if you do prefer cramming, try cramming two nights prior to the exam so that the final night will not consist of stress. Rather it will be a night for review. 1. Eating
* Explanation: Eating too much food during studying can disrupt retention of material. It can also take too much time away. You may want to snack lightly during studying, but not eat enormous meals. * Fix: Keep a small bag of snacks by your study area. You won’t have to leave the area just to pick up food when you get hungry. 1. Drinking
* Explanation: Drinking is a double-edged sword. Never drink alcohol while studying. However, it is important to stay awake and hydrated. * Fix: Have a glass of water (or soda with caffeine) by your side. Be very careful not to spill it onto your books and papers. 1. Working in your Bed
* Explanation: While it may be comfortable, your bed can also sooth you to sleep instead of study. * Fix: Sit at a desk in your room instead of on your bed. Do not study on your bed late at night, as you will be tempted to fall asleep. 1. Multi-Tasking
* Explanation: Many people are able to multi-task, meaning they can do several different things at once. This can be good for daily tasks. When it comes to studying, you may not retain as much material as if you were to focus purely on one task. * Fix: Before a big exam, drop everything else for at least 24 hours and focus purely on the studying. When it is complete, you can return to your multi-tasking. 1. Studying during a commute
* Explanation: Many people enjoy reading on a train, bus, or car to work and school. These environments are wonderful for light reads, but not necessarily for intense studying. * Fix: Use the commute (if you have one) for light studying, such as memorization, repetition, and review. Do not use this time to learn new information. 1. Outside Stress
* Explanation: It is inevitable to allow outside problems into your study world. They exist and cannot be turned off light electricity. * Fix: There is no perfect way out of eliminating outside stress to a study area. The best advice we can give you is to find a location that eliminates all superficial stress enough that will allow you even a few hours to focus on writing, studying, reviewing.
The Ten Study Habits of Successful Students
Successful students have good study habits. They apply these habits to all of their classes. Read about each study habit. Work to develop any study habit you do not have. Successful students:
1. Try not to do too much studying at one time.
If you try to do too much studying at one time, you will tire and your studying will not be very effective. Space the work you have to do over shorter periods of time. Taking short breaks will restore your mental energy. 2. Plan specific times for studying.
Study time is any time you are doing something related to schoolwork. It can be completing assigned reading, working on a paper or project, or studying for a test. Schedule specific times throughout the week for your study time. 3. Try to study at the same times each day.
Studying at the same times each day establishes a routine that becomes a regular part of your life, just like sleeping and eating. When a scheduled study time comes up during the day, you will be mentally prepared to begin studying. 4. Set specific goals for their study times.
Goals will help you stay focused and monitor your progress. Simply sitting down to study has little value. You must be very clear about what you want to accomplish during your study times. 5. Start studying when planned.
You may delay starting your studying because you don’t like an assignment or think it is too hard. A delay in studying is called “procrastination.” If you procrastinate for any reason, you will find it difficult to get everything done when you need to. You may rush to make up the time you wasted getting started, resulting in careless work and errors.
6. Work on the assignment they find most difficult first.
Your most difficult assignment will require the most effort. Start with your most difficult assignment since this is when you have the most mental energy. 7. Review their notes before beginning an assignment.
Reviewing your notes can help you make sure you are doing an assignment correctly. Also, your notes may include information that will help you complete an assignment. 8. Tell their friends not to call them during their study times.
Two study problems can occur if your friends call you during your study times. First, your work is interrupted. It is not that easy to get back to what you were doing. Second, your friends may talk about things that will distract you from what you need to do. Here’s a simple idea – turn off your cell phone during your study times. 9. Call another student when they have difficulty with an assignment.
This is a case where “two heads may be better than one.”
10. Review their schoolwork over the weekend.
Yes, weekends should be fun time. But there is also time to do some review. This will help you be ready to go on Monday morning when another school week begins.
BookRags Articles. (2013, January 31). Most Common Bad Study Habits. Retrieved from http://www.bookrags.com/articles/16.html Mangrum II, D. C. & Strichart, D. S. (2013,January 31). The Ten Study Habits of Successful Students. Retrieved from http://www.how-to-study.com/study-skills/en/study-habits-of-successful-students.asp