Survey of Animals: Zoo Questions Essay Sample
- Word count: 936
- Category: animals
A limited time offer!
Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteedOrder Now
Survey of Animals: Zoo Questions Essay Sample
Please type the answers of the following questions:
1. What function, other than hearing, do the African Elephant’s ears serve?
Answer: The African elephant uses its ears as signaling organs. Ears are also used to regulate body temperature and are used as a protective feature in the African elephant to ward off potential threats.
2. What color is the rump of a Hamadryas Baboon?
Answer: The rump of a Hamadryas Baboon is pink.
3. What is the life span of the Serval?
Answer: The lifespan of the Serval is up to 19 years.
4. What is the diet of the DeBrazza Monkey?
Answer: DeBrazza monkeys are omnivores; however, fruits form the most important part of their diet. They also eat flowers, leaves, mushrooms, beetles, termites, worms, and lizards. At the zoo they are offered Monkey Chow, fruits, and vegetables.
5. The Bateleur Eagle gets his name from the French word for: acrobat.
6. The Nile Lechwe is known for what?
Answer: The Nile Lechwe is known for its unique naming and looks.
7. Meerkat packs may consist of how many individuals?
Answer: Meerkat packs consist of up to 40 individuals.
8. How long will Kirk’s Dik-Dik survive in captivity?
Answer: Kirk’s Dik-Dik will survive in captivity for 10 years.
9. What bird is considered noisy and gets its name from a loud instrument?
Answer: The Lyrebird is considered noisy and gets its name from a loud instrument.
10. What is the smallest (and cutest) species of fox?
Answer: The smallest species of fox is the Fennec.
11. The spiny liana is cracked by what animal?
Answer: The spiny liana is cracked by the rat.
12. Which area of Africa does the Dwarf Crocodile inhabit?
Answer: The Dwarf Crocodile inhabits the forest areas of Africa.
13. Which of the African monkeys is the most arboreal?
Answer: The Colobus Monkey is the most arboreal.
14. What is the life span of the African Bullfrog?
Answer: The lifespan of the African Bullfrog is 40 years.
15. What are the three greatest threats to the Savannah Monitor?
Answer: The three greatest threats to the Savannah Monitor are habitat destruction, poor hygiene, and poor nutrition.
16. Who is the dominant of the group in Patas Monkeys?
Answer: The Patas monkeys have one dominant, completely adult male per group, which have about 15 members.
17. How fast can the Patas Monkey run (in miles per hour)?
Answer: The Patas monkey can run 35 miles per hour.
18. What is the chemical responsible for the Chilean Flamingo’s color?
Answer: The chemicals responsible for the Chilean’s Flamingo’s color are the Alpha and beta carotenoid pigments.
19. How do Yellow-Footed Tortoises recognize each other?
Answer: Yellow-Footed Tortoises recognize each other by seeing and smelling well.
20. What is the maximum speed of the Collared Lizard (in miles per hour)?
Answer: The maximum speed of the Collard Lizard is 16 miles per hour.
21. The Vampire Bat was instrumental in development of medicines in which field?
Answer: The Vampire Bat was instrumental in development of medicines in gynecology.
22. What is the largest land predator on Earth?
Answer: The largest land predator on Earth is the Polar bear.
23. Raccoons are related to which displayed species in the zoo?
Answer: Raccoons are related to the Panda displayed species in the zoo.
24. What is the common weight of the Red Wolf (in pounds)?
Answer: The common weight of the Red Wolf is 55-130 lbs.
25. How fast can the Grizzly Bear run (in miles per hour)?
Answer: The Grizzly Bear can run 35 miles per hour.
26. What is the most developed sense in the American Bison?
Answer: The most developed senses in the American Bison are hearing and smell.
27. Few predators have withstood three centuries of settlement in North America. Name the one that the zoo displays:
Answer: The Black Bear has withstood three centuries of settlement in North America.
28. What sets the North American River Otter’s vision apart from that of many land animals?
Answer: River otters can make themselves at home in nearly any inland waterway, as well as estuaries and marine coves.
29. Why is the Polar Bear on display at the zoo so skinny?
Answer: The Polar bear on display at the zoo is so skinny because it isn’t in its original state.
30. How does the California Sea Lion fend off intruders?
Answer: The California Sea Lion fends off intruders through physical displays of aggression.
31. Describe five differences between the Polar Bear and the Grizzly Bear:
Answer: Five differences between the Polar Bear and the Grizzly Bear include:
1) Polar bears are larger
2) Polar bears have larger feet
3) Polar bears have smaller ears
4) Polar bears have a Roman type nose
5) Polar bears have smaller ears and tails
32. What is the main food source for the Arctic Fox?
Answer: The main food source for the Artic Fox is the Lemming.
33. What was the most amazing thing I learned visiting the zoo? Answer: The entire trip was very interesting. I enjoyed seeing the different types of animals. I was especially fascinated by the Polar Bear exhibit. I think this is a unique creature and was very glad to learn more about it.